Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Unfinished Business #1: Facing Demons

Last week I finally got round to updating my website for high resolution screens like Apple's Retina. A responsive site will have to wait, I have more learning to do first. Anyway, as is the custom, I ended up trawling through years of backup discs for master files, but somewhat distractingly, those discs are also littered with unfinished pieces which got abandoned along the way.

This particular reject started as an experiment in atmosphere and skies using
E-on software's Ozone 3 plugin for Cinema 4D, which dates the original idea to 2007. I liked Ozone, but it was somewhat erratic and very slow to render final quality skies, so all I had to work with was a small grainy preview.



Instead of attempting to resurrect the 3D scene though, I opened the low res render in ArtRage and resized it to 16,500 pixels wide (55 inches, 145cm.) I set a canvas texture background, then using the chalk and airbrush tools started painting sharpness and detail back in.

I occasionally flipped back to Cinema 4D to create extra assets as required, so simple versions of the boat, soldier and kelpie creature were composited into ArtRage where more detail was added with final touches done in Photoshop.

The image is called, 'Facing Demons.' It accidentally ended up being a companion to another painting created back in 2011 called, 'Facing North.'

Facing Demons