Saturday, 6 December 2014

Sunshine on Leith

There are many reasons why I like living in Leith and for a while now I've wanted to reflect that in a painting called, 'Sunshine on Leith,' after the eternally gut wrenching song by The Proclaimers. Yes indeed, sometimes the title comes first. This is perhaps frowned upon as shallow in certain circles, but for me titles have always been an integral part of the ideas behind a painting.

The trouble is, I'm spoiled for choice. There are so many paintable views around here that I've got stuck in an infinite loop of dithering. I guess this ultimately means there will have to be more than one picture.

However, just the other day while walking a well trod route around The Shore, we happened across a couple of geezers doing a photo shoot on the old Victoria Swing Bridge. As we approached I realised it was, of all people, Charlie and Craig Reid aka The Proclaimers.

This painting is an ArtRage oil brush study done quickly to see if it might work as a real painting. I think it makes a very interesting composition and have deliberately kept a wide view to preserve a few cropping options later down the line, but I actually really like the scale of the figures against the bridge's frame so it might not change much. This is not the most amazing view of Leith I ever saw, but it fits the title better than I could have hoped. Sometimes the artist doesn't get a choice in subject matter!

Sunshine on Leith