Sunday, 7 August 2011

White Noise

A few days ago I did a quick acrylic sketch based on a picture I took stood on Calton Hill in a snowstorm. It was not very good, but I liked the idea enough to explore it in more detail. As a consequence I spent a few hours over the weekend painting this, a view down my street in a snowstorm (oil on canvas.) It is quite unnerving to work something up only to cover it in 'white noise,' but I love the way the falling snow breaks edges so that your brain needs to work that little bit more to resolve the verticle and horizontal lines. I also like that you need to look a little harder to find the solitary figure. The canvas was prepared with a Raw Sienna wash and the whole image is based around a neutral mix of French Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna. I have already started on the next in the series. Click on image to enlarge.