Wednesday, 31 August 2011

Odds and Sods

Just a quick post really, very busy at the moment! Here's an update showing the re-worked snow scene from the top of Calton Hill looking down to the centre of Edinburgh. I must say after years of not really getting on with Acrylics, these Atelier Interactives seem to be the best of all worlds - I love them for their flexibility. An airtight container makes a good mixing palette which can be lightly sprayed at the end of each session to keep paint wet for the next day. The palette proved useable for a week, which was handy as I could only spend short stints on this before the the start of each working day. Chroma's claims of unlocking paint already on the canvas also hold true, so I can choose whether to let areas dry immediately, or whether to keep it workable. Marvellous mechanical mouse machines!


I did this painting some time back. Remember when we had some half decent picnic weather? Well we did you know, though it was a long time ago now! This image is an oil pastel sketch of a place we ate al fresco. Unremarkable as far as landscape subjects go, but I really love the way branches intermingle to create abstract webbed patterns. If I ever get away from my computer long enough there will be more of these!


This was a quick iPad 2 Study looking up at the sheer cliff to a portion of Edinburgh castle (I have started idly writing a story which will require such a scene.) The sketch was done during beta testing for ArtRage iPad's latest great thing - script recording, bringing it in line with the full desktop version of ArtRage. It is wonderful to bring a recorded script back to the mother mac and marvel as it re-creates paintings at print resolutions. This also marks the first time I've tried AR's watercolour brush along with pencil, crayon and palette knife for blends. Happy.
Click on images to enlarge.