Monday, 1 August 2011

Bah! I Hate Summer

I think it is safe to say I'm in the minority here, but I never did understand our obsession with Summer. It makes me instantly lethargic often to a debilitating degree. It makes me instantly sweaty and if you can believe it, even a little grumpy! :D Lying for hours on a beach with a thousand other over-baked sardines is particularly mystifying. Weird.Winter on the other hand gives me energy. It is a time when our dull grey cities are transformed into magical half worlds bathed in half light. A time to wrap up warm and wear silly hats. Standing on Calton hill in a snowstorm looking down on Edinburgh is an immensely gratifying experience. I used this image to fulfill three goals. 1) To get away from the computer for a few hours! I currently have a large in-tray spanning months, so sitting at the screen 24/7 occasionally becomes too much. 2) I got some freebie
A Time for Silly Hats!
Atelier Interactive acrylics with a mag subscription and had been meaning to try them out. They're great! 3) I also saw this as an opportunity to try a painting with an extremely limited palette - just three colours; French Ultramarine, Burnt Sienna and Titanium White. Summer is nearly dead. Long live Winter!
Click on images to enlarge.